Thursday 5 January 2012

Holidays Training


I hope that this new year find everyone in lots of health and happiness, and a shiny new PR.
Personally, I hate the idea of making a New Year’s Resolution. Resolutions are stupid in general, because they are made too general. It’s easy to say “OK, this year I’m going to be healthy”, maybe go to the gym once or twice, then fall back in to old unhealthy patterns. If you do make resolutions, they need to be S.M.A.R.T! That’s Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Timely. So a better way of making that same resolution would be to say “In order to live a healthier life, 6 months, I am going go to the gym 4 times per week, and try to lose 10 pounds a month for 6 months by eating more vegetables and less junk food”. Of course, you also need to actually follow through.

I prefer to say that I make a New Years CONFIRMATION. This is because I don’t see a point in choosing one day to change my life. I know that I want to lead a healthy life, and generally I try to do whatever changes need to made to get there (diet and exercise, duh). This means that when Jan 1 hits, all that I’m really saying to myself is “OK keep going”, instead of “let’s change everything now”. Leading a healthy life is hard to do, especially with work, school, family and many other commitments, and it is the gradual changes that I find to me more effective. It is said that our will is like a muscle that needs to be exercised. Trying to immediately cut out all junk food, sodas, chocolates and fatty food is too much all at once, but by slowly eliminating these vices ones at a time, you will make you will stronger over time, and it will be easier to say NO to bad food. Of course, having a small cheating dessert from time to time cant be too bad, right?

Anyway that’s all I have to say about New Years. Back to my diary update; I used my Xmas and New Years vacation days to do a fair amount of training. I went for a nice X-Mas day run with my TNT coach on the mountain, had a nice spinning session or two, and got in some good distance in the pool. I also took advantage of the boxing day sales to order a Tacx Speedmatic Trainer, (more on this on my next post), which will hopefully be coming in the next few weeks.

I’ve gone on a couple nice outdoor runs as well, and realize that it is definitely the way to go, as long as the mercury is above -15 C. I’m not crazy, and with the windshield factor anything colder than that is just too much for me.

Fundraising for St. Anthonys Triathlon with Team in Training is also going well, to date I have a bit over $500. Still a long way from $5K, but a good start I think.

That’s it for now, check back soon for my review on the Tacx Trainer.



Keep Tri-ing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment